Peanut butter banoffee pie
Recipe makes 8 small pies or 1 big one (...just for you).
WHAT YOU NEED
For the base:
- 14 pitted dates (dried or fresh)
- 3/4 cup nuts
- 1/3 cup Fix & Fogg Dark Chocolate peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut (or regular) butter
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs
For the cream topping:
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (soaked in water for at least 2 hours)
- 1 cup coconut cream (refrigerate the whole tin for at least 6 hours)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or runny honey (or to taste)
For the caramel filling:
- 14 pitted dates (dried or fresh) / 1/2 cup coconut cream / 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt / bananas / cinnamon (optional)
In a food processor, blitz the dates and nuts. Add the peanut butter and with the processor turning, slowly add the coconut oil. Finally, add the cacao nibs and pulse to combine. Press into the tart cases and pop in the freezer while you make the filling and topping.
Drain the cashew nuts, and blitz them in the food processor. Open the tin of coconut cream upside- down and drain off the clear liquid (keep for smoothies or extra liquid for the filling). Using the remaining thick cream, add it to the cashews, along with the maple syrup and vanilla. Blitz until the mixture is smooth (but be careful not to have the processor on for longer than needed as coconut cream can split). Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
If using dried dates- place the dates in a medium bowl, and pour over just enough boiling water to cover the dates. Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes. Drain the dates but keep the water. Transfer dates into a food processor or stick blender container. If using fresh dates, you can put them straight into a food processor or stick blender container.
Add coconut cream (use whatever thick cream is left over and add drained coconut liquid to make up to 1/2 cup), vanilla extract and salt to the dates, and blitz. Add extra coconut liquid or the date water until the mixture is smooth but not runny. Pour into the tart cases and place in the fridge. When ready to serve, place cream topping and sliced banana on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.